// // Leave a Comment

libudev error

So I made it through my Linux install, loaded my AMD drivers, and the system can see all my GPUs! The moment of truth has arrived, cgminer is all setup, and I hit enter.......

"libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory"

Well what the heck is this we are supposed to mining now?  Reviewing some more guides there is no reference to this error.  I find a few individual posts about this error, and a guide that goes into great detail about how this occurred, how to fix it, and offers step by step instructions that take like forever.  DIDN'T WORK!

Hmmm, after more searching and a few discussions with some fellow miners I found that this issue did not exist until recently and that earlier versions of cgminer did not experience this, though information on which version of cgminer worked was unclear.  Being stubborn, I decided that I just needed to make 3.7.2 work.

After several trial and error sessions this is what worked for me.   It turns out some smart guy somewhere thought it was necessary to change a file name such that it no longer ended in 0, but ended in 1.   Now Chrome users and more importantly (to me) cgminer couldn't operate without some intervention.

First, there are some guides out there that say only install CURL and update associated packages if you get a error message after your driver install.  Well just do it regardless of if you get a error message or not.

Next, we have to associate the libudev.0 file to the libudev.1 file.  There are some one line commands out there that are supposed to do this, but not being a Linux expert I could never get these to work for me.

Get to your root directory, for me this was sudo -i, then:

ln -s /usr/local/lib/libjansson.so.4 /usr/lib/libjansson.so.4
ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1
ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0.13.0 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1
exit

Now I still get a libudev error listing my GPUs, but they show up properly, cgminer is happy, and the system is stable and hashing away. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment